Sunday, March 10, 2019

Less Than Human: Why We Do Not Really Want to Help the Homeless in SLO

ENDING HOMELESSNESS IN SLO COUNTY: There are plenty of effective, affordable solutions out there, once our community realize that the homeless are people like you and me - I truly believe they are still seen as "Less Than Human" which is a major factor in our lack of desire to help them. What is the matter with us? NIMBY-ism rules! I've got mine - screw them!

I read this book "Less Than Human: Why we Demean, Enslave, and Exterminate Others" (by David L. Smith) in search of an answer to how we can treat fellow humans so cruelly. Obviously, not just the homeless, but slavery, indentured servitude, genocide, etc. - how can we do it to a fellow human? In large part, it is because we can convince ourselves that the homeless are "less than human". 

Book (link to Amazon): Less Than Human

The homeless are the last group where we feel free to demean them without guilt or public criticism. Oh wait - there is one other group - white males (especially those with "toxic masculinity) - but that is a topic for another time... 

I hear it constantly. Lazy. Stupid. Made bad decisions. They deserve to live in squalor and disgusting homeless camps. Why should we help them? They should just leave and go somewhere else.

Outside of SLO, many west coast municipalities at least recognize the seriousness of the problem and are trying to address it — here in SLO? Not so much. Sad. Makes me cry, because I love these people.

PHOTO: Blue Heron, Avila Beach

1 comment:


  1. FINANCIAL PROBLEMS SOLVED

    Thank you so much Mr Walker for making my dreams come through . i got my programmed blank atm card from him . At first when i saw i comments about him i just feel i trying to see if thing will turn around for me because i am a single mother with 2 kids . I contacted Mr Walker because that was same name as my late husband i had faith and follows it's step's doe it cost me a little to get the card but its was just not more thank 5 days i got my card shipped down to me here in Canberra, Australia . In not less than two weeks now i have cash out $12,000 dollars at any POS or ATM Machine daily withdraw of $600 . I'm so happy now paid my bills and have enough to eat and take care of my children. Thank You Mr Walker Contact him : walkerhacker002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete