Monday, September 16, 2013

PERSONAL: The waterman has fallen, the wave continues on (Part II)

Bob Meistrell's paddle-out and memorial service took place in Redondo Beach, California on 9/15/2013. Read this excellent article that covered the event: 1,000 Surfers Take To the Water To Honor Surf Legend Bob Meistrell as well as this article from the Easy Reader.

Sue and I were there to pay our respects to one of the legends of the diving and surfing world. But more than that, Bob was a person who always had time for the "little people" like us. He always had a smile on his face, and words of encouragement. Thanks Bob (and the entire Meistrell family) and also to Ricky and Scott, for creating the opportunity for me to become a Scuba instructor at Dive N' Surf. It was an amazing dream come true for me. I never thought I had it in me, but they sure did, and they were right!


My Dad, Bob Waag, got certified at Dive N' Surf some time early in the 1960's, and I was proud to be teaching divers at that same location where he learned to dive.


Below: Some photos from the paddle out and memorial (click to enlarge). Thanks to our friends Tom and Jill for sharing this important event with us, and letting us crash at their place in Hermosa Beach!


Above: I brought a flower from twin brother Bill's 2006 paddle out. I swam out with it and gave it to his son, Billie, who said he had not saved one from his Dad's memorial and would keep it forever. That was an awesome moment for me. I knew Billie from my days at Dive N' Surf, though I'm sure he doesn't remember me!



Above: Sue took this photo of the paddle-out event from the beach at Veteran's park. The baywatch crew is saluting with their water cannons.


Above: Surfer girl Jill gets ready for the paddle out.


Above: One of Bob's many loves: his 75 foot yacht, the Disappearance, which most folks just call "The Body Glove Boat". He loved that boat to the very end.


Above: A great reunion for me. Left to right: Ricky O., the head instructor when I first started teaching at Dive N' Surf; me (in the Waag Brothers t-shirt); longtime head of Rental / Repair at Dive N' Surf - my friend Jocko, and below, Jocko's son Travis, who flew out from Oregon for this event.


Above: Sue and I at the top of the Veteran's Park stairs, the ones we've climbed up and down so many times, and so many Scuba students have learned to hate! But we know it leads to the marvelous and mysterious Redondo Marine Canyon. We are wearing vintage 1989 Dive N' Surf Dive Team hats that we designed for the club 23 years ago. Thanks to Dive N' Surf for the support and the memories.


Above: Robbie, Mike and me. Mike worked at Dive N' Surf with me in the late 80's through early 90's (and still does!). Robbie was the president by then, but was at the store often. 



Above: Jean Michel Cousteau at Bob's memorial. No, I did not get a chance to meet him. Bummer.


Above: Sunset comes after another long, beautiful day for the waterman. That satisfying feeling of a day well spent on the water, seeing old friends, and remembering those who have passed this way, never to return again.

1 comment:

  1. Timmy:

    Thanks for the kind words. We love hanging out with you guys as well. It was a magical weekend and one we will always remember as well.

    Thanks for this shot as well as all of the others you took. You are awesome at documenting things with photos!!

    Looking forward to our next get together.
    --TJ

    ReplyDelete