Friday, May 10, 2013

PERSONAL: Good-Bye, Virgil - R.I.P.

My hospice client and friend, Virgil B., passed away last week while I was away on a backpacking trip. He was my hospice client since June, 2011, and we spent many wonderful hours together. Although confidentiality prevents me from saying or showing much here, I loved taking Virgil out of his group home to see the local sights. I have reproduced 2 of them here, with his face blurred out for privacy reasons.
Virgil loved the outdoors and I took him almost everywhere he wanted to go (and then some). Most memorable was the time I took him up Highway 1, all the way to Ragged Point. Previously, he consistently told me he wanted to go up highway 1, which was farther than I was comfortable taking him. However, his persistence finally paid off. I checked with his kin and the group home, and got permission to take him away for 4 hours - now I'm glad that I did.
Virgil absolutely LOVED ice cream, so I had to include a photo of him wolfing some down! He wasn't really supposed to have any, but I kept an eye on him and made sure he didn't choke on it, though he did scare me a few times!
Virgil loved his wife, Loree, more than life itself, and thought of her (and mentioned her) often. It was devastating to him when she passed away (a few years before I met him). A huge "Jesus Hug" goes out to Pastor Scott and his wife Joy, and their entire SLO congregation at Assembly of God (AoG) Church. I began taking Virgil to AOG church in September of 2011. He loved to attend the church and he loved God. The congregation at AOG was absolutely wonderful, both to Virgil and to me. Thanks and many blessings to the wonderful AOG congregation, from Ken and Anthony the greeters at the door every Sunday, to Ernie and Donah (sp?), Lisa, Jimmy and Erica, Big Bob, Candy, Giff, Flo, Forrest, Ryan, Frank, Diane and the rest of the AOG crew.

Many thanks also go out to the fine staff, primarily Jep and Erma, at the group home on Royal Way where Virgil lived during the time that I knew him. The staff has kind hearts, and treats the clients with great warmth under difficult circumstances - God Bless you both.

Virgil, I will miss you, brother, and I mourn your passing. Thanks for all the good times. Rest in Peace. Oh, and Go! Dodgers! (he was a big fan, just like my Dad is).

No comments:

Post a Comment